Thursday, May 29, 2008

Don't Be a Negative Nancy

Ok, so I'm back from couch surfing, but the posts will continue even if you are uninterested in my regular, non-couch surfing life.

I know what some of you may be thinking: Hey Evan, thanks so much for torturing yourself at our expense for three days in a city you've never been to, with people you've never met. I just booked my room at the Sheraton.

Maybe not all of you are thinking that, but if you are here's my advice: Don't.

There is no doubt there were times I was uncomfortable (physically and emotionally). There were a couple times I was a bit nervous, especially on my trip over to the first house. But getting out of my comfort zone made the trip what it was. No, my trip to Philly was not traditional, but I say memorable trumps traditional any day.

I think the main point is that staying with people gives you a new and different perspective on any city. I mean, who knows a city better than those living in it? The best way to get to the heart of a city, if you really want to, is through the people. Obviously it's impossible to get everyone's version, but couch surfing is a good way to get a sample size.

I talked with Ed quite a bit about his experiences with couch surfing and why it works. He had some interesting points. At it's base, couch surfing fulfills a basic need for hospitality. But at another level it is also provides a unique connection between people. It's often difficult to go to a bar or a museum or a restaurant and establish a bond with complete strangers. Couch surfing builds that bridge.

So yes, I had some what we'll call interesting experiences. Others might call it dangerous or foolish. I will say this: I was never in a position where I felt threatened or unsafe. I know staying with two people doesn't encapsulate every person, but from couch surfers I've talked to, the feeling is generally mutual.

So there may be discomfort at first, and why shouldn't there be? You are putting a lot of blind faith into a person you don't even know. But the tradeoff is assuredly going to be a lot of good stories, a lot of experiences (good or bad), and even in some cases lasting friendships, potentially all over the world.

Coming soon: My tips on couch surfing.

- Evan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay,Ev, you're my virgin blog experience..you should feel blessed. I refer to myself with many fine adjectives...nice Nancy, never ending smile Nancy, nurturing Nancy, never get you down Nancy, noble Nancy, night time loving and drinking Nancy, never stop singing and dancing Nancy, but never refer a to Nancy as a negative Nancy cuz it just aint true.

Anonymous said...

I am couch surfer beginning...now.

Anonymous said...

You're getting some strange posts here buddy. I like the insight into the psyche of a couch surfer and couch provider. Not sure if I could/would do it, but I definitely can see why people partake in the practice. Do you have any tips for virgin couch surfers? Stuff to take with you? Ideas of how to best get along with the people you're staying with and get the most out of your trip.
Also, how about a list of the top-10 cities to couch surf in the U.S. (not sure if it has caught on overseas)with your ideas/tips on what to try and experience, for people who are looking to try it out.