Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tips on Couch Surfing

OK, so perhaps some of you don't think this is such a crazy idea and actually want to try it. Though I'm still relatively new to the whole experience, here are some tips I would give to a virgin couch surfer.

1. Do some prep work.
I sent out close to 20-25 messages/emails to different people on couchsurfing.com and I didn't get that many responses. Honestly, I thought it would be a lot easier. Now, keep in mind I had limited time to prepare (I started messaging people roughly 4 days before my departure date). If I could do it again, I'd get things ironed out sooner. This is also a good time to browse through profiles and find someone you think you might get along with based on their interests. Not everybody checks their email 50 times a day like I do, so leave some room for response. I probably got half a dozen emails after I returned saying "sorry I missed you, maybe next time."

2. Create a friendly profile.
This was sort of a challenge for me. I'm relatively inept at creating profiles since I don't have a Facebook or Myspace (I'll pause while everyone gasps in amazement). However, there are a lot of options on the website to describe yourself, the places you've been, the things you like, etc., etc. Be yourself, but make your profile welcoming so people aren't scared off or weirded out. I suppose this seems pretty obvious, but doing things like uploading pictures of yourself, or writing a brief description allows a potential host to get to know you at least a little. I'd say the picture is the most important, because people feel more comfortable looking at someone's face. Without a picture, you just seem sketchy.

3. Resist the urge to arm yourself.
When I was getting ready for my trip a lot of people asked things like, "Are you going to bring a knife or something?" My mom strongly suggested pepper spray. Don't do this. You don't want to be that person. If you go into the situation with an attitude like that, you're going make things sketchy from the start. Put yourself in their position. If you were hosting, would you want a couch surfer bringing weapons into your home? I didn't think so. Plus, watch how awkward the situation gets when that pocket knife falls out of your bag.
*Note: Obviously this is coming from a 23-year-old guy. Females may feel a bit more concerned for their safety, although as far as I know there haven't been any incidents. I know many women who carry pepper spray in their purse all the time, and I don't see that as a problem. I'm just saying I wouldn't arm myself to the teeth or anything.

4. Keep an open mind.
Resist the thought that every person on couchsurfing.com is secretly planning to make you into a lampshade. From what I can tell in my brief experience, these are harmless people who joined couch surfing because they a) love to travel for cheap or b) love meeting new people. There is not doubt it will be awkward/different staying in a complete stranger's house. It may even be uncomfortable at times. But keeping an open mind to people's ways of life will make for a better, less stressful, experience.

5. Treat your host to something.
I had some difficulty with the whole idea of bringing a gift. Some people suggest a 6-pack or a bottle of wine when you arrive at the house, but I was often unsure what my host would like. This was the internal debate I had before I went to Laura's. Like most couch surfers, I'm not exactly rolling in cash, so I'd rather not waste my money on something my host might not like. If you know that your host loves a nice merlot, than you are probably safe, otherwise, there are usually opportunities to thank your guest during your stay. For example, I bought Ed some beers at the bar and then sprung for the late-night Chinese. If you are really hard-up on cash, you can also do little things like washing dishes after dinner or even cooking a meal.

6. Have a back-up plan.
This is a classic situation where you need to prepare for the unexpected. Shit happens. People run into problems or unforeseen obligations all the time. Other people might just flake out. It's best to know you have another place to stay so you don't end up stranded on a street corner. Get phone numbers of other hosts and be sure they are available so you have people to call if you're in a jam.

7. Try to relax.
There's no doubt this is a nerve-wracking experience. You'll be in a place you probably don't know very well, if at all, with people you don't know, whom you are placing a tremendous amount of trust in. I definitely had the sweats leading up to my first night, but the moment I calmed down, the more fun I started having. So take a deep breath and have fun with it.

8. Come with conversation starters.
I've been doing this for years simply because I hate awkward silence. It was easy for me because I was in reporter mode and constantly thinking of questions, but even if you are going for fun, it's a good idea to make a list of questions in your head that might spark some good conversation. Luckily you can do all your research online on your host's profile. Get to know them a little bit and ask them about their travels (most have gone all over the world), their favorite parts of the city, and just their general interests. If your host sees you are interested in them, they will also relax and conversation will come naturally.

For more tips, here are some good websites:
couchsurfing.com
eHow
AnswerBag

It's been requested that I post the top cities to couch surf. Look for that tomorrow.

- Evan

2 comments:

Ed said...

Evan -- what are you doing? I am frankly appalled that the link you left to eHow was not my own, but rather some travel editor who clearly hasn't ever couchsurfed. "Step 2: Participate in discussion groups" -- what a douche!!

For the real scoop, check http://www.ehow.com/how_2158182_couchsurf.html

Unknown said...

i really feel like there should be 10 tips. How about some tips for the neat freaks (like your gf & I) "Bring your own shower shoes" and "Don't expect to share a toothbrush"

be safe!!

-allie