Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Taking Couch Surfing to a New Level

It's almost 1 a.m. and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the world in this current position.

Right now I am preparing to sleep literally two feet from a complete stranger.

I'll briefly start from the beginning. I arrived at Laura's at roughly 7 p.m. after a long drive with a lot of traffic. She and I drove around, talked and prepared for a bonfire that she was setting up.

An hour later the bonfire was nixed and Laura was feeling ill. Still, she was kind enough to drive me into the city, and later throw the keys down to me when I returned.

Which brings me to my current position. Laura was kind enough (and perhaps crazy enough) to open up her room to me. She normally sleeps on a single mattress. Earlier this evening she and I dragged another one in her room, placing them virtually side by side.

Ever been in a total stranger's room, close enough to count the breaths between each snore? Lesson #1: Couch surfing gets you out of your comfort zone. Way out.

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention. I'm pretty sure she is topless, although it's too dark for confirmation.

Seriously, I couldn't make this up if I tried.

Stay tuned for more.

- Evan

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't be the only one wondering this but I guess I'll be the one to ask. If it's called "couch surfing", why are you on a mattress in the host's bedroom? Is that a common occurrence on the road or is this lady just a big Dawson's Creek fan? I'd like an early morning post answering both this question and the topless one. Your audience is on the edge of their seat...

Brian Wright said...

I agree with the other comment. Does this lady really not have a couch for her guests to sleep on? It seems kind of weird that she wouldn't since the whole point was to be crashing on stranger's couches. O well.

Dave Canfield said...

I am curious to hear how things were--and her level of undress--come morning.

Anonymous said...

I'm a little perplexed. Why did you have to drag a mattress into her room? Can't you sleep in the living room? OR better yet, on the couch where you are suppose to be surfing or sleeping. We are all on the edge of our seats...did you sleep and what happened in the morning????

Unknown said...

Oh Dear God Evan! First there's a bonfire, then there isn't. Then there's supposed to be a couch, and there isn't. Next you're mere feet from a somnolent stranger (sans top)...WHAT COULD HAPPEN NEXT?!?! I am on the edge of my cheap desk chair as I type. What if this snoring "Laura" sneaks away with your (gasp) virginity (or worse, your Mastercard)? Explain THAT one! Best of luck, Dear.